The Samford Society, named in honor of William James Samford, recognizes Auburn University donors whose cumulative lifetime contributions range between $25,000 and $100,000. Samford attended East Alabama Male College and went on to serve as an Alabama legislator, the state’s 31st governor, and a U.S. congressman around his roles as a Civil War veteran, farmer, licensed Methodist minister and practicing lawyer.
When fire destroyed Old Main, the campus’ administration and classroom building, in 1887, Samford championed the law funding its reconstruction. Completed in 1890, the building was named Samford Hall in his honor. Auburn proudly bestows the distinguished Samford name on its generous donors whose contributions are a tribute to their predecessor’s pioneering spirit of championing higher education.
The Samford Society held its most recent biennial recognition program and reception in the Auburn Arena on September 5, 2014, at which time, the society included members representing more than 2,954 households, welcomed new members representing 557 households, and congratulated members from 64 households whose continued support of Auburn University qualified them for membership and future induction into Auburn’s 1856 Society.